Friends, what do you do when a beautiful shirt dress pattern comes your way? You incorporate it into your Six Pattern Challenge, of course. Now, when I added M6696 to the challenge, it was my favourite (if you’re a regular sewing blog reader I’ll bet you know which one it is without even having to look). I couldn’t wait to sew this one up! But first, get some skills, woman. So I did.
First we had what turned out to be a wonderful pleated skirt pattern (here and here). Then we had a cute jersey Summer throw-it-on dress. Then came the over-engineered pyjamas (to be blogged) and The Dress That Must Not Be Named. All good for working those skills and building up to a glorious fit & flare style shirtdress. And then something happened to pique my pride.
It got popular.
M6696 became the pattern to blog about in 2014 and it somewhat upset my apple cart. The apple cart being my imaginary world of uniqueness. What to do when everyone makes your (how proprietary of me!) dress? Pondering here, pouting (a little) there, I finally smelled the coffee and decided just to get on with it. It’s one of the challenge patterns and not one I wanted to swap out (I’m allowed, according to my totally arbitrary set of rules, to do so to one pattern only). So I swallowed my foolish pride and just went with it.
I’m glad I did! It’s as lovely a dress as I’d hoped and, aided by a speedy make thanks to a few days at my parents’ house with my mother’s sewing room available all hours (lucky me!) I realised that this must not be a one-off. No! I have at least one more of these to make (with sleeves next time). I so enjoy wearing this dress!
Details: Dress is the McCall’s 6696 shirtdress pattern, made up with another wonderful Liberty lawn second (style: Farhad available here)in just the right, soft, grey with a great little early-mid 20th century print detail. I made the sleeveless version and kept the gathered back. Because I’m daft I made three bodice toiles for this- but the first was cut in the wrong bust size- the pattern comes with separate pieces for various bust sizes. Once I’d put that right I ended up doing a small bust adjustment (toile the third) which was a first and I’m pleased with how simple it was to do!